As I mentioned before, I’ve finally finished restaining my dresser. Here’s the background:
I’ve had this dresser since middle school. My parents got it at a naked furniture store and told me I could “design” how it would look. My super-fashionable middle-school self chose a light stain for the top and drawers, with a white body and knobs.
It definitely worked for the light-blue room I had at the time, but now that I’m officially a grown-up it looks dated. It also had some issues with drawers not pulling out or pushing in all of the way.
Mike and I were ready to toss it, but on the day we were going to carry it out to the dumpster I had second thoughts. Why are we throwing away a perfectly good wooden dresser, I said, when we can toss the super-crappy Target dresser and recycle this one? So, that’s what we did.
I spent the first weekend trying to restain the dresser myself based on reading a few posts from some favorite DIY bloggers. It did not go well – first, you can’t stain over paint, so the body of the dresser looked terrible. I also didn’t take the “wipe off the stain a few minutes after applying” directions to heart and so the dresser basically had stain just sitting on top like a gooey mess. With my tail tucked, I loaded up the dresser and went to my parent’s house for help.
To my dad’s credit, he didn’t say a word when he saw the dresser in it’s terrible state. He just set up the sawhorses, started pouring paint thinner on the dresser and went to work with the scraper.
It was a gross process, but we got them to a pretty good place and rested for the day.
Day two started the sanding. I was trying to go it alone with those little rectangular hand sanders, which was laughable. My dad seriously has six different sanders, including a belt sander, so with his help and bevy of tools, the sanding part was a breeze.
By the time we were done, the wood was back in it’s naked form.
Then it was time to stain! Although this part took the least amount of time, it took the most elbow grease to wipe off the stain once it sat for about 5 minutes, so I definitely got sore. I also ruined a pair of my favorite jeans, so let that be a lesson to you. I did two coats of stain. This is what it looked like after the first coat.
I added another coat and then sealed it all up with two coats of poly. I also ran to Home Depot to get metal knobs instead of using the cheap wooden ones. That helped to update the look of the dresser as well.
Happy to be done with this project (it took me a couple of months from start to finish since the dresser was at my parent’s house), I toted the dresser back to my apartment and stuck it in our bedroom.
I moved the bridal shot of me around the corner so it was above the dresser, since Mike has his charcoal portrait above his dresser. It has a better feel that way.
It took me forever to do this but it worked out really well! Kitten is pleased – but scared of big objects moving in and out of the apartment.