Ever since we put in the concrete tile in the guest bathroom (aka, ever since we moved into our house), I’ve been toying with the idea of pulling one of the colors from the tiles on the walls. Originally I wanted the dark navy, but with the size of the room I figured the green color would be better. Plus it looks like this Farrow & Ball color that I love.
I also wanted to update the mirror (it’s just a glued-on regular old mirror at this point) but hadn’t found anything that struck me.
Back in February, I was wandering through the antique mall by my house and found a mirror on mega-sale. I really liked the frame and the antique-looking mirror, and the price was unbeatable. So I snagged it.
I had measured it, but I put it up when I got home to ensure it would fit. It did!
This past weekend I decided to bite the bullet and get this mini bathroom refresh done. I brought a tile to Home Depot so they could match the paint (I’m so enthralled with that process. It’s MAGICAL) and got to work. First I had to pry off the old mirror. I did some YouTubing and decided to put clear tape across the front and a tarp down (in case it shattered), then use the back of a hammer to slowly work the mirror off of the wall. I used paint dip sticks to wedge in the sides, and like magic, the mirror slowly popped off. It was glued in six places and ripped a bit of drywall off, but I was pretty impressed with how easy that task was.
Emboldened, I hung the mirror just to see what it would look like. Definitely confirmed the need for paint…not a fan of the ivory frame with the white walls!
After the girls went to bed, I taped up the room…and had a glass of wine.
Then I got to work! As I started, I realized that I haven’t painted a wall since college. It definitely worked out my arm muscles.
I started with the edging, which turned into entire wall coverage for most of the walls around the toilet since they were so small. I had a Magic Eraser on hand for any goofs, which was helpful, although I think we’ll have to touch up the ceiling because we did get a few green dollops up there.
Mike came in when I was nearly done with the first round of edging and rolled. I edged the second coat and then called it a night – it was about 1am. The next morning Mike rolled the second coat, then we both cleaned things up. We hung the mirror back up and called it a win!
Louise wanted to be the star of this show.
It’s not the most professional paint job, but it looks pretty good and I’m very pleased with the turnout. I am on the lookout for an updated light above the mirror now because obviously projects never end.
A nice little house update over a weekend…not too shabby!